What's on offer?

If you have any interest in: Ufology, Paranormal, Angling, Paganism, the Eco-system and general controversy then this may just be the place for you. I am a published author of books concerning these particular topics...


/



Friday 10 May 2019

Broken Vintage Masta Pipe Fix






















I recently acquired a job lot of vintage pipes and some were in better condition than others. One attractive little briar that I put to one side as a possible ‘chuck-out’ was a London - made Masta pipe. It was in a bad way with broken mouthpiece and as yellow as mustard, thanks to years of oxidization. A bleach bath soon restored the original black finish, yet the damage remained.

















Nevertheless, not being one to admit defeat lightly, I set about trying to fix the badly damaged mouthpiece. I used resin and powdered charcoal to craft a suitable shape. I also used masking tape to build up a lip at the end of the mouthpiece. Bamboo sticks pasted with Vaseline ensured that the draw hole would not get clogged up as I worked up the desired shape. 



















The end result is in no way a great professional refurbish and I may undertake more work on the Masta in future. However, this is now a reasonable looking little briar that will serve well as a tough classic fishing pipe.






















I believe that Masta was a brand founded around 1900. When Parker Hardcastle Limited was formed in 1967, they also incorporated the Masta Patent Pipe Company. From then on this was a Dunhill/Parker/Hardcastle offshoot. 

Check out the 'Pedalling Piper' on YouTube, for more on pipes, pipe tobaccos, etc... 







No comments:

Post a Comment