The Devil God's Best Friend

What's on offer?

If you have any interest in: Ufology, Paranormal, Angling, Paganism, the Eco-system and general controversy then this may just be the place for you. I am a published author of books concerning these particular topics...


NB. Images are copyright of Pat Regan...



Thursday, 31 May 2012

Low Water on the Yarrow




May time can see plenty of water on our northern spate rivers or alternatively drought.

When I nipped up to the Yarrow this week it was the latter that applied with the bones of the river showing due to lack of rainfall.

I was fishing dry fly as per usual and only managed to catch a plump dace. I did however hook and lose several brown trout, yet fishing was difficult.

The fish could see me coming in the thin, shallow runs long before I spotted them. Nevertheless, I did capture the picture below of one trout that was feeding under overhanging branches.



This is the dace I caught below...



I also managed to fall down a steep incline into the Yarrow after stepping into a patch of backside greenery that 'seemed' safe to walk on. I sort of did a slow motion roll and ended up going in up to my neck backwards...

Could things get worse? Eh well yes they could. Soon after I had rung my socks out for the third time I grabbed an electrified sheep fence that gave me quite a nasty jolt....

My biggest concern was that although I was soaked through, the fly rod and camera were not broken in the fall...

Thankfully both survived...


Many attractive dragonflies kept me company along the riverbank. 



All in all I had a lovely afternoon, albeit a very wet one, with the wonders of nature.  

Next time the river may be fuller and the fish easier to approach - we'll see! 









2 comments:

  1. Pat,

    I am designing some interpretation boards for the Ettrick and Yarrow Valleys. I would really like to use your image of Low Water on the Yarrow

    As this is an interpretation board, the image will be reproduced an quite a big size. Do you have a high res image you could send me.

    Thank you in advance.

    Giles Etherington
    giles@brandsatellite.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Giles - I have just dropped you an email... let me know if you are referring to the first image on this page...

    ReplyDelete