What's on offer?

If you have any interest in: Ufology, Paranormal, Angling, Paganism, the Eco-system and general controversy then this may just be the place for you. I am a published author of books concerning these particular topics...


/



Monday 26 March 2012

Historical treasures of the River Yarrow



On my last fly fishing trip to the River Yarrow I  found an interesting bit of local history. 



A  piece of a Silver Jubilee cup holding an image of Queen Mary (1910) and the white bowl of an old Victorian clay smoking pipe, which was amazingly still intact.

This link shows a better image of how the cup would have been when new: 


Here's the clay pipe bowl....



The wheat ear pattern of the pipe is quite well preserved, seeing as it has been lying on the rocky banks of the Yarrow for many years. What are the chances of a wandering farmer or angler not cracking this delicate piece of local history? 

You can still almost smell the tobacco as the pipe's owner smoked it whilst strolling along the old stream all those years ago. 



2 comments:

  1. Hi I found your blog when trying to age a pipe that I recently found on a steep sided woodland floor Mine identical and comes from near Bath, UK. Any idea what age these might be? I appreciate yours is an oldish blog but it would be great if you spotted my comment! Many thanks P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should think Victorian era or earlier mate but am not expert.

      Delete